Friday, May 31, 2013

No-bake Chocolate Slice


My friend is rather partial to Altezano’s chocolate fudge slice and on Sundays she often takes home a bite as her wicked chocolate treat for working Mondays.  I reckoned I could make something similar (although as a disclaimer I have to say I haven’t actually tasted Altezano’s, just gazed upon it at the counter) and found this recipe on the Women’s Weekly website

I’ve made it three times in about as many weeks and feedback has been most favourable, even when said friend compared it with Altezano’s.  I love the chewy raisins and the balance between the crumbly base and smooth chocolate topping.  A real cure for Mondayitis.

I did promise the recipe after making it for some participants of a photography workshop held here at our house last weekend, so here it is.  I should point out that the experienced photographers did not take the photo - that was left to amateur me – but thanks to Eva for some pointers.

No-bake chocolate slice

175g butter

3 tbsp golden syrup

1 tsp vanilla essence

3 tbsp cocoa powder

1 250g packet digestive biscuits

½ cup desiccated coconut

½ cup raisins

250g dark chocolate melts* (or chopped chocolate) for topping
* I used Cadbury Melts

Line a 17cm x 27cm slice tin with nonstick baking paper.

Crush the biscuits in a food processor (or place in a plastic bag and beat with a rolling pin until crushed).

Place butter, golden syrup and vanilla in a saucepan and heat until butter has melted.  Stir to combine.

Add cocoa, crushed biscuits, coconut and raisins and stir to combine. Press firmly and evenly into the base of the prepared tin.  Set aside.

Topping

Place chocolate melts in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water to melt. Stir until smooth.  Spread over the surface of the slice to coat evenly. Leave for an hour or so to set. Cut into bars or squares with a hot knife.

Store in an airtight container.

4 comments:

  1. It looks like a pretty good recipe and photo too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that picture looks pretty good Lesley :) It certainly makes me want a slide along side my coffee....even at this very early hour :) Hope you are enjoying the long weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds totally delicious and would certainly do it for me to overcome Mondayitis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look absolutely decadent and positively sinful.

    ReplyDelete